"Soldiers Joy" by Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers

 This song really surprised me because of how I really could not tell what the singer was saying. Although I couldn't tell what the singer was say, the lyrics cleared up what I was trying to understand. The lyrics and the song went together for the most part, I understood how soldiers like to drink a lot and take morphine to get them away from "here". To my understanding it is meant to be a joyous song played at get togethers or parties. It had a pretty upbeat tone and this totally aligns with the name of the song. I feel like the violin was played outside of its traditional role as the soothing and smooth type of instrument. In the song it felt like the violin was being played more violently but also in a joyful way. Some musical features that this song has with my favorite genre of music was that the singer had a quick flow and had rhyming end words. The genre I am describing is hip hop if you could not tell already. This type of music I feel was the start to the creation of hip hop with those rhyming words. 

Comments

  1. I really like the points you make Tafao! Soldiers joy has a really unique sound to it and you pointed out some really good spots that emphasize that, like the violin and the unusual lyrics. It was kind of a weird mix of lyrics but was overall happy! I like your analysis of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment