"Taking a Chance on Love" by Benny Goodman
The song I chose to closely listen to and enjoy was "Taking a Chance on Love" by Benny Goodman. This song really caught my eye because I love to listen to old love songs. The trumpets together sound very soothing and compliment the singers voice very nicely. There was a good upbeat tempo that wasn't too fast or too slow, just the right speed for a love song. I like how there are not many lyrics but you get so much out of the story they tell. In this song, the singer tells the story of a person falling in love again. Towards the end, I heard the lyrics "I thought that cards were a frame-up, I never would try; But now I'm taking the game up and the ace of hearts is high..." and this tells me that the person didn't think he/she would fall in love again, but they are willing to take a gamble on another love. This really hit home because of how relatable it can be to millions of people. I really wonder how this song changed the love culture during the time it was made. Overall, I give this song a 10/10!
I do agree that the trumpets go with her voice very well. I like the softness of her voice as she tells us about her new found feeling of love. I feel like its a common thing to think that you're never going to find love again, but the funny thing is that its when we think this that it happens.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the trumpets are a perfect accompaniment to her voice. Its like the perfect old-time Broadway swing music and I love it. I also love your assessment of the lyrics and the gamble that is love. I also love how you quoted the lyrics I think that really helps you interpretation of the song.
ReplyDeleteHi Tafao! I just love this song too. As I was listening I really noticed how prominent the bass line is in the back, I feel like that really helps contribute to the overall feel of the song. It has a super laid back and chill feel and the consistent and simple walking bass line I feel like is a main factor in that. I’m a clarinet player so I already love Benny Goodman and I cannot comment on your blog post without mentioning the clarinet solos, I hope you liked them as much as I do.
ReplyDelete