"I Shot the Sheriff" By Bob Marley
The song I chose to make my blog post on is the song, "I Shot the Sheriff" By Bob Marley. I chose this song because of the emotional and sentimental connection I have to Bob Marley. My dad used to listen to Bob Marley every single day, and this influenced my taste for older reggae music. I love this song for its simplicity and the short story Bob is trying to convey. What I am getting from this song, is that there is a man who was wrongfully hated by a Sheriff named John Brown. The sheriff pointed a gun at the man for unknown reasons, so the man killed him in self defense. The message I get from this is how law enforcement is given the power to do what they want in the name of the "law", and when they are the victims they are given the winning side most of the time because of their position in society. I really loved the grooviness of this song and its overall catchiness. The instruments sound so upbeat and happy when in contrast the message of whole song is about killing someone. This song/artist played at huge part in my childhood and being able to give my thoughts on and analyze this song felt awesome to do.
It is so cool to hear about your connection to Bob Marley. He is such an amazing artist and has always been one of my favorites as well. I love the vibe and groove his songs have. They always put me in a good mood. I think the story this song tells is super important and is still relevant in today's world. I like how you pointed out the contrast between the sound of the song and the lyrics because that is super interesting to think about.
ReplyDeleteI thought that I commented on this and then it deleted because I am logged out for some reason. Anyways, I think that it is awesome that you have an emotional connection to this song and Bob Marley! One of my favorite parts about music is the way that it can make us feel something and remind us of old memories and such.
ReplyDelete-Sydni Anderson